Hindi translation of 'prisoner'
prisoner /ˈprɪzənə ˈप्रिज़नअ/
Word forms: prisoners
1. countable noun
A prisoner is a person who is kept in a prison as a punishment or because they have been captured by an enemy.
free/release a prisoner
a political prisoner
a former/escaped prisoner
SIMILAR WORDSinmate, convict, criminal
If someone is taken prisoner, they are captured. If someone is held prisoner, they are guarded so that they cannot escape.
Copyright © 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'prisoner'
Let the implications of capture swim in the prisoner 's mind.Field of Blood
Their people ambushed my patrol, killed my men and took me prisoner.Confessional
Quite frankly, there seem to be more pressing things at Bowscar than the welfare of one prisoner.The Scar
Trends of 'prisoner'
View usage over:
'prisoner' in Other Languages
- Arabic: سَجِيـن
- Brazilian Portuguese: prisioneiro prisioneira
- Chinese: 囚犯
- Croatian: zatvorenik zatvorenica
- Czech: vězeň vězeňkyně
- Danish: fange
- Dutch: gevangene
- European Spanish: prisionero prisionera
- Finnish: vanki
- French: prisonnier
- German: Häftling
- Greek: φυλακισμένος φυλακισμένη
- Italian: prigioniero prigioniera
- Japanese: 囚人
- Korean: 죄수
- Norwegian: innsatt
- Polish: więzień więźniarka
- Portuguese: prisioneiro prisioneira
- Romanian: prizonier prizonier
- Russian: арестант арестантка
- Spanish: prisionero prisionera
- Swedish: fånge
- Thai: ผู้ถูกขัง
- Turkish: mahkum
- Ukrainian: в'язень
- Vietnamese: phạm nhân
Translation of prisoner from the Collins English to Hindi Dictionary