Hindi translation of sister
sisterPowered by COBUILD /ˈsɪstə ˈसिस्टअ/
Word forms: sisters
Definitions and Translations
1. countable noun
Your sister is a girl or woman who has the same parents as you.
2. countable noun, title noun
Sister is a title given to a woman who belongs to a religious community such as a convent.
सिस्टर-किसी धार्मिक संप्रदाय की सदस्या nf
⇒ I'm Sister Agnes.
3. countable noun, title noun
In Britain, a sister is a senior female nurse who supervises a hospital ward.
सिस्ट nf, नर्स , nf
⇒ Sister Middleton tended the seriously hurt policeman.
4. countable nounNote that there is no common English word that can refer to both a brother and a sister. You simply have to use both words. He has 13 brothers and sisters. The word sibling exists, but it is rare and formal.
You might use sister to describe a woman who belongs to the same race, religion, country, or organization as you, or who has ideas that are similar to yours.
बहन-(अपने देश, धर्म, आदि से जुड़ी कोई महिला) nf
⇒ ...our Jewish brothers and sisters.
Copyright © 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'sister'
I told you last night, I borrowed the money from my sister , it was going to pay my way back home.YESTERDAY'S SHADOW (2002)
Obviously, gossip about his sister had traveled faster than news of Sam's shortcomings.LIRAEL: DAUGHTER OF THE CLAYR (2001)
Tarja's grief was centred on the woman he once believed was his sister.TREASON KEEP (2001)
Trends of 'sister'
View usage over:
'sister' in Other Languages
- Arabic: أُخْت
- Brazilian Portuguese: irmã
- Chinese: 姐妹 姐姐older sister
- Croatian: sestra
- Czech: sestra
- Danish: søster
- Dutch: zus
- European Spanish: hermana
- Finnish: sisar
- French: sœur
- German: Schwester
- Greek: αδελφή
- Italian: sorella
- Japanese: 姉妹
- Korean: 언니 female’s elder sister
- Norwegian: søster søstre
- Polish: siostra
- Portuguese: irmã
- Romanian: soră surori
- Russian: сестра
- Spanish: hermana
- Swedish: syster
- Thai: พี่สาวหรือน้องสาว
- Turkish: kız kardeş
- Ukrainian: сестра
- Vietnamese: em gái younger sister
Translation of sister from the Collins English to Hindi Dictionary