Hindi translation of 'small'
small /smɔːl स्मॉल्/
Word forms: smaller, smallest
Someone or something that is small is not large in physical size.
She is small for her age.
The window was too small for him to get through.
A small group or quantity consists of only a few people or things.
...a small team of doctors and nurses.
...a small amount of money.
A small child is a very young child.
What were you like when you were small?
You use small to describe something that is not significant or great in degree.
She remembered even the smallest details.
...a relatively small problem.
5. adjective after link verb
If someone makes you look or feel small, they make you look or feel stupid.
The teachers at school always made me feel small.
6. singular noun
The small of your back is the bottom part of your back that curves inwards slightly.
पीठ का वह हिस्सा जो थोड़ा अंदर की ओर धंसा होता है mn
7. small wonder → see wonderYou use the adjective small rather than little to draw attention to the fact that something is small. For instance, you cannot say 'The town is little' or 'I have a very little car' but you can say 'The town is small' or 'I have a very small car'. Little is a less precise word than small, and may be used to suggest the speaker's feelings or attitude towards the person or thing being described. For that reason, little is often used after another adjective. What a nice little house you've got here! Be quiet, you horrible little boy!
Copyright © 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'small'
In the mesh was sheathed the small jewelled dagger that had once belonged to her mother.TREASON KEEP (2001)
Maureen, the TV researcher for Four Corners, was not interested in domestics or small talk.YESTERDAY'S SHADOW (2002)
A Fardohnyan queen was a small price to pay for the guarantee that Hablet was unable to make war on them.TREASON KEEP (2001)
Trends of 'small'
View usage over:
'small' in Other Languages
- Arabic: صَغِير
- Brazilian Portuguese: pequeno pequena
- Chinese: 小的
- Croatian: malen malena
- Czech: malý
- Danish: lille
- Dutch: klein
- European Spanish: pequeño pequeña
- Finnish: pieni
- French: petit minime
- German: klein
- Greek: μικρός μικρή
- Italian: piccolo piccola
- Japanese: 小さい
- Korean: 작은
- Norwegian: liten
- Polish: mały mała
- Portuguese: pequeno pequena
- Romanian: mic mic, mică, mici
- Russian: маленький маленькая
- Spanish: pequeño pequeña
- Swedish: liten litet
- Thai: เล็ก
- Turkish: küçük
- Ukrainian: малий
- Vietnamese: nhỏ bé
Translation of small from the Collins English to Hindi Dictionary