Hindi translation of 'understanding'
understanding /ˌʌndəˈstændɪŋ ˌअन्डअˈस्टैन्डिङ्/
Word forms: understandings
1. singular noun, uncountable noun
If you have an understanding of something, you know how it works or what it means.
They need to have a basic understanding of computers.
Mr Smith has little understanding of how the system works.
an understanding of something
an understanding of nature/science/culture
a good/clear/thorough/deep/basic understanding
gain/develop/reach an understanding
SIMILAR WORDSgrasp, appreciation, awareness
If you are understanding towards someone, you are kind and forgiving.
John has a very understanding wife.
3. uncountable noun
If there is understanding between people, they are friendly towards each other and trust each other.
पारस्परिक समझ nf
The organization promotes understanding between people of different religions.
4. countable noun
An understanding is an informal agreement about something.
We had an understanding that we would meet up in the summer.
Copyright © 2014 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'understanding'
I think it must have just been an innate understanding of the... of the manipulative power of jealousy.THE COMPANY OF STRANGERS (2002)
I drank the bottom two fingers of my Red Label, hoping it would speed up my understanding of such delicate matters.A DARKENING STAIN (2002)
She ignored him, understanding now that her responses gave him power over her.TREASON KEEP (2001)
Trends of 'understanding'
View usage over:
'understanding' in Other Languages
- Arabic: مُتَفَهِّم
- Brazilian Portuguese: compreensivo compreensiva
- Chinese: 善解人意的
- Croatian: uviđavan uviđavna
- Czech: chápavý
- Danish: forstående
- Dutch: begripvol
- European Spanish: comprensivo comprensiva
- Finnish: ymmärtäväinen
- French: compréhensif comprend
- German: verständnisvoll
- Greek: που δείχνει κατανόηση
- Italian: comprensivo comprensiva
- Japanese: 話がわかる
- Korean: 이해심 있는
- Norwegian: forståelsesfull forståelsesfullt
- Polish: wyrozumiały wyrozumiała
- Portuguese: compreensivo compreensiva
- Romanian: înțelegător înțelegătoare, înțelegători
- Russian: понимающий понимающая
- Spanish: comprensivo comprensiva
- Swedish: förstående
- Thai: ที่เข้าใจ อย่างเห็นอกเห็นใจ
- Turkish: anlayış
- Ukrainian: чулий
- Vietnamese: thông cảm
Translation of understanding from the Collins English to Hindi Dictionary