Synonyms of bow out
▷ See bow
• He bowed out gracefully when his successor was appointed.
• After a few attempts he gave up.
• He was wounded, but did not retire from the field.
• Troops withdrew from the country last March.
• I think we should get out while we still can.
• He has resigned after only ten weeks in office.
• I was trying to quit smoking at the time.
step down (informal)
• I've already promised I'll go - I can't back out now.
throw in the towel
cop out (slang)
throw in the sponge
call it a day or night
Copyright © 2016 by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
withdrawretiregive uppull outretreatdrop outrenegecop out (slang)chicken out (informal)detach yourself
leaveescapewithdrawquittake off (informal)exitgobreak outgo awaydepartevacuatevacateclear out (informal)absconddecamphook it (slang)free yourselfdo a bunk (British, slang)bog off (British, slang)extricate yourselfsling your hook (British, slang)rack off (Australian, New Zealand, slang)do a Skase (Australian, informal)
Thesaurus for bow out from the Collins English Thesaurus