Definition of 'American football'
Trends of 'American football'
Used Occasionally. American football is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'American football'
British English: American football /əˈmɛrɪkən ˈfʊtˌbɔːl/ NOUN
American football is a game similar to rugby that is played by two teams of eleven players using an oval-shaped ball.
- American English: football
- Arabic: كُرَةُ القَدَم الأمريكيّة
- Brazilian Portuguese: futebol americano
- Chinese: 美式橄榄球
- Croatian: američki nogomet
- Czech: americký fotbal
- Danish: amerikansk fodbold
- Dutch: American football
- European Spanish: fútbol americano
- Finnish: amerikkalainen jalkapallo
- French: football américain
- German: Amerikanischer Fußball
- Greek: Αμερικανικό ποδόσφαιρο
- Italian: football americano
- Japanese: アメリカンフットボール
- Korean: 미식 축구
- Norwegian: amerikansk fotball
- Polish: futbol amerykański
- European Portuguese: futebol americano
- Romanian: fotbal american
- Russian: американский футбол
- Spanish: fútbol americano
- Swedish: amerikansk fotboll
- Thai: ฟุตบอลอเมริกัน
- Turkish: Amerikan futbolu
- Ukrainian: американський футбол
- Vietnamese: bóng bầu dục kiểu Mỹ
Definition of American football from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Meme Ban, Heart Age & Collagin: September’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this September with Robert Groves.
Collins Reference Catalogue 2019
View our new 2019 reference catalogue. From dictionaries, phrasebooks, language learning, atlases and maps, general reference and puzzles, you'll be sure to find books that appeal to you.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.