Definition of 'American football'
Trends of 'American football'
Used Occasionally. American football is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'American football'
British English: American football /əˈmɛrɪkən ˈfʊtˌbɔːl/ NOUN
American football is a game similar to rugby that is played by two teams of eleven players using an oval-shaped ball.
- American English: football
- Arabic: كُرَةُ القَدَم الأمريكيّة
- Brazilian Portuguese: futebol americano
- Chinese: 美式橄榄球
- Croatian: američki nogomet
- Czech: americký fotbal
- Danish: amerikansk fodbold
- Dutch: American football
- European Spanish: fútbol americano
- Finnish: amerikkalainen jalkapallo
- French: football américain
- German: Amerikanischer Fußball
- Greek: Αμερικανικό ποδόσφαιρο
- Italian: football americano
- Japanese: アメリカンフットボール
- Korean: 미식 축구
- Norwegian: amerikansk fotball
- Polish: futbol amerykański
- European Portuguese: futebol americano
- Romanian: fotbal american
- Russian: американский футбол
- Spanish: fútbol americano
- Swedish: amerikansk fotboll
- Thai: ฟุตบอลอเมริกัน
- Turkish: Amerikan futbolu
- Ukrainian: американський футбол
- Vietnamese: bóng bầu dục kiểu Mỹ
Definition of American football from the Collins English Dictionary
GDPR, yanny/laurel & MadaBaka Beat: May’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this May with Robert Groves.
Ruby Chocolate, Fatberg & Right to be Forgotten: April’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this month with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.