Definition of 'American football'
Example sentences containing 'American football'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
All the family knew she had slept with one man one time, but 365 surely American football players brush their teeth. SUMMER OF SECRETS (2003)He looked like an over-age and out-of-condition American football player. LOADED QUESTIONS (2003)
Trends of 'American football'
Used Occasionally. American football is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'American football'
British English: American football /əˈmɛrɪkən ˈfʊtˌbɔːl/ NOUN
American football is a game similar to rugby that is played by two teams of eleven players using an oval-shaped ball.
- American English: football
- Arabic: كُرَةُ القَدَم الأمريكيّة
- Brazilian Portuguese: futebol americano
- Chinese: 美式橄榄球
- Croatian: američki nogomet
- Czech: americký fotbal
- Danish: amerikansk fodbold
- Dutch: American football
- European Spanish: fútbol americano
- Finnish: amerikkalainen jalkapallo
- French: football américain
- German: Amerikanischer Fußball
- Greek: Αμερικανικό ποδόσφαιρο
- Italian: football americano
- Japanese: アメリカンフットボール
- Korean: 미식 축구
- Norwegian: amerikansk fotball
- Polish: futbol amerykański
- European Portuguese: futebol americano
- Romanian: fotbal american
- Russian: американский футбол
- Spanish: fútbol americano
- Swedish: amerikansk fotboll
- Thai: ฟุตบอลอเมริกัน
- Turkish: Amerikan futbolu
- Ukrainian: американський футбол
- Vietnamese: bóng bầu dục kiểu Mỹ
Definition of American football from the Collins English Dictionary
Take better control of your finances with these simple steps
Do you find yourself living paycheque to paycheque? Dr Peter Brooks offers his advice to make that money last
The etymology behind 4 eggs-ellent Springtime words
We’ve explored the diverse etymology of 4 eggs-ellent words associated with spring.
Up Lit, Alexa Laugh & Meet Me at McDonald’s Hair: March’s Words In The News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this March with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.