Definition of 'answering machine'
Example sentences containing 'answering machine'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
The phone rang four times, then the answering machine cut in. KICK BACK (2002)You must have been away... It wasn't something I could put on the answering machine. LOST CHILDREN (2002)It stopped abruptly, then she heard the electronic beep of an answering machine. THE LAST TEMPTATION (2002)
Trends of 'answering machine'
Used Occasionally. answering machine is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'answering machine'
British English: answering machine /ˈɑːnsərɪŋ məˈʃiːn/ NOUN
An answering machine is a device which records telephone messages while you are out.
- American English: answering machine
- Arabic: جِهَاز الردّ الآلي
- Brazilian Portuguese: secretária eletrônica
- Chinese: 电话应答机
- Croatian: telefonska sekretarica
- Czech: záznamník telefonní
- Danish: telefonsvarer
- Dutch: antwoordapparaat
- European Spanish: contestador automático
- Finnish: puhelinvastaaja
- French: répondeur
- German: Anrufbeantworter
- Greek: τηλεφωνητής
- Italian: segreteria telefonica
- Japanese: 留守番電話
- Korean: 자동 응답기
- Norwegian: telefonsvarer
- Polish: automatyczna sekretarka
- European Portuguese: atendedor de chamadas
- Romanian: robot telefonic
- Russian: автоответчик
- Spanish: contestador automático
- Swedish: telefonsvarare
- Thai: เครื่องตอบรับโทรศัพท์
- Turkish: telesekreter
- Ukrainian: автовідповідач
- Vietnamese: máy trả lời điện thoại tự động
Definition of answering machine from the Collins English Dictionary
Take better control of your finances with these simple steps
Do you find yourself living paycheque to paycheque? Dr Peter Brooks offers his advice to make that money last
The etymology behind 4 eggs-ellent Springtime words
We’ve explored the diverse etymology of 4 eggs-ellent words associated with spring.
Up Lit, Alexa Laugh & Meet Me at McDonald’s Hair: March’s Words In The News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this March with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.