Definition of 'answerphone'
Example sentences containing 'answerphone'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
At Chantal's suggestion I rang Edward to invite him to stay but got only his answerphone. THE DEVIL'S OWN WORK (2003)Pausing only to finish her drink and reset the answerphone, she picked up her purse and headed out through the door. COMPULSION (2003)
Trends of 'answerphone'
Used Rarely. answerphone is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'answerphone'
British English: answerphone /ˈɑːnsəfəʊn/ NOUN
An answerphone is a device which you connect to your telephone and which records telephone calls while you are out.
- American English: answering machine
- Arabic: الرَدُّ الآليُّ عَلَى الهَاتِف
- Brazilian Portuguese: secretária eletrônica
- Chinese: 自动应答录音电话机
- Croatian: telefonska sekretarica
- Czech: telefon se záznamníkem
- Danish: telefonsvarer
- Dutch: antwoordapparaat
- European Spanish: contestador
- Finnish: puhelinvastaaja
- French: répondeur
- German: Anrufbeantworter
- Greek: αυτόματος τηλεφωνητής
- Italian: segreteria telefonica
- Japanese: 留守番電話
- Korean: 자동 응답기
- Norwegian: telefonsvarer
- Polish: automatyczna sekretarka
- European Portuguese: atendedor de chamadas
- Romanian: robot telefonic
- Russian: автоответчик
- Spanish: contestador
- Swedish: telefonsvarare
- Thai: เครื่องตอบรับโทรศัพท์
- Turkish: telesekreter
- Ukrainian: автовідповідач
- Vietnamese: điện thoại có máy trả lời tự động
Definition of answerphone from the Collins English Dictionary
Fed up with the great British weather? Here’s how to afford that dream summer escape
From planning early to knowing where to look, these top tips will help you fulfil your summer holiday desires
The etymology behind 4 eggs-ellent Springtime words
We’ve explored the diverse etymology of 4 eggs-ellent words associated with spring.
Up Lit, Alexa Laugh & Meet Me at McDonald’s Hair: March’s Words In The News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this March with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.