Definition of 'anticlockwise'
Video: pronunciation of 'anticlockwise'
Example sentences containing 'anticlockwise'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Starting with the drum farthest from the door, he gave each cap a final anticlockwise turn. TOY SHOPHe judged his moment and, as they bottomed out in the next trough, he threw the big handle anticlockwise on its centre pivot. LET NOT THE DEEP
Trends of 'anticlockwise'
Used Occasionally. anticlockwise is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'anticlockwise'
British English: anticlockwise /ˌæntɪˈklɒkˌwaɪz/ ADVERB
If something is moving anticlockwise, it is moving in the opposite direction to the direction in which the hands of a clock move.
You need to turn the knob anticlockwise.
- American English: counterclockwise
- Arabic: عَكْسَ اِتّـجاه عَقْرَبَي السّاعَة
- Brazilian Portuguese: anti-horário
- Chinese: 沿逆时针方向
- Croatian: obrnuto od smjera kazaljke na satu
- Czech: proti směru hodinových ručiček
- Danish: mod uret
- Dutch: linksom
- European Spanish: en sentido contrario a las agujas del reloj
- Finnish: vastapäivään
- French: dans le sens contraire des aiguilles d’une montre
- German: entgegen dem Uhrzeigersinn
- Greek: αριστερόστροφα
- Italian: antiorario
- Japanese: 左回りに
- Korean: 시계 반대 방향으로
- Norwegian: mot klokken
- Polish: przeciwnie do ruchu wskazówek zegara
- European Portuguese: no sentido anti-horário
- Romanian: în sensul invers acelor de ceasornic
- Russian: против часовой стрелки
- Spanish: en sentido contrario a las agujas del reloj
- Swedish: motsols
- Thai: ทวนเข็มนาฬิกา
- Turkish: saatin aksi yönünde
- Ukrainian: проти годинникової стрілки
- Vietnamese: ngược chiều kim đồng hồ
Definition of anticlockwise from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Unlock language with the Paul Noble method
No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Your chance to have a one-to-one lesson with best-selling language expert Paul Noble, try a FREE audio sample of his brand new Mandarin Chinese course.
13th edition of the Collins Dictionary out now!
Updated with all the very latest new words and senses, this new 13th edition is an unparalleled resource for word lovers, word gamers, and word geeks everywhere. #homeoflivingenglish
We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge!
Rainbow Tree, Asymmetric Wreath, and Period Poverty: November’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this November with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.