Definition of 'April Fool's Day'
Translations for 'April Fool's Day'
British English: April Fools' Day /ˈeɪprəl fuːlz deɪ/ NOUN
In the West, April Fools' Day is the 1st of April, the day on which people traditionally play tricks on each other.
- American English: April Fools' Day
- Arabic: يَوْم كِذْبَة إِبْريل
- Brazilian Portuguese: dia da mentira
- Chinese: 愚人节
- Croatian: prvi travnja
- Czech: apríl
- Danish: 1. april
- Dutch: één april
- European Spanish: día de los Santos Inocentes
- Finnish: aprillipäivä
- French: 1er avril
- German: erster April
- Greek: Πρωταπριλιά
- Italian: pesce di aprile
- Japanese: エープリルフールの日
- Korean: 만우절
- Norwegian: første april
- Polish: prima aprilis
- European Portuguese: Dia das Mentiras
- Romanian: 1 AprilieZiua Păcălelilor
- Russian: День смеха
- Spanish: día de los Santos Inocentes
- Swedish: första april
- Thai: วันที่เล่นแกล้งกันหรือล้อเลียน
- Turkish: 1 Nisan Şakası
- Ukrainian: День сміху
- Vietnamese: Ngày Cá tháng Tư
Definition of April Fool's Day from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.