Definition of 'Ash Wednesday'
Trends of 'Ash Wednesday'
Used Occasionally. Ash Wednesday is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'Ash Wednesday'
British English: Ash Wednesday /æʃ ˈwɛnzdɪ/ NOUN
Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent.
- American English: Ash Wednesday
- Arabic: أَرْبَعَاءُ الرَّمَاد
- Brazilian Portuguese: Quarta-feira de Cinzas
- Chinese: 复活节前第七个星期三
- Croatian: Pepelnica
- Czech: Popeleční středa
- Danish: askeonsdag
- Dutch: Aswoensdag
- European Spanish: miércoles de Ceniza
- Finnish: laskiaisviikon keskiviikko
- French: mercredi des cendres
- German: Aschermittwoch
- Greek: Πρώτη Τετάρτη της Σαρακοστής
- Italian: Mercoledì delle Ceneri
- Japanese: 灰の水曜日
- Korean: 재의 수요일
- Norwegian: askeonsdag
- Polish: Środa Popielcowa
- European Portuguese: Quarta-feira de Cinzas
- Romanian: prima miercuri din postul Paștelui
- Russian: Пепельная среда
- Spanish: miércoles de ceniza
- Swedish: askonsdag
- Thai: วันทางศาสนาคริสต์
- Turkish: Büyük perhizin ilk Çarşambası
- Ukrainian: Попільна середа
- Vietnamese: Thứ Tư Lễ Tro
Definition of Ash Wednesday from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Meme Ban, Heart Age & Collagin: September’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this September with Robert Groves.
Collins Reference Catalogue 2019
View our new 2019 reference catalogue. From dictionaries, phrasebooks, language learning, atlases and maps, general reference and puzzles, you'll be sure to find books that appeal to you.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.