Definition of 'Ash Wednesday'
Trends of 'Ash Wednesday'
Used Occasionally. Ash Wednesday is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'Ash Wednesday'
British English: Ash Wednesday /æʃ ˈwɛnzdɪ/ NOUN
Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent.
- American English: Ash Wednesday
- Arabic: أَرْبَعَاءُ الرَّمَاد
- Brazilian Portuguese: Quarta-feira de Cinzas
- Chinese: 复活节前第七个星期三
- Croatian: Pepelnica
- Czech: Popeleční středa
- Danish: askeonsdag
- Dutch: Aswoensdag
- European Spanish: miércoles de Ceniza
- Finnish: laskiaisviikon keskiviikko
- French: mercredi des cendres
- German: Aschermittwoch
- Greek: Πρώτη Τετάρτη της Σαρακοστής
- Italian: Mercoledì delle Ceneri
- Japanese: 灰の水曜日
- Korean: 재의 수요일
- Norwegian: askeonsdag
- Polish: Środa Popielcowa
- European Portuguese: Quarta-feira de Cinzas
- Romanian: prima miercuri din postul Paștelui
- Russian: Пепельная среда
- Spanish: miércoles de ceniza
- Swedish: askonsdag
- Thai: วันทางศาสนาคริสต์
- Turkish: Büyük perhizin ilk Çarşambası
- Ukrainian: Попільна середа
- Vietnamese: Thứ Tư Lễ Tro
Definition of Ash Wednesday from the Collins English Dictionary
Take better control of your finances with these simple steps
Do you find yourself living paycheque to paycheque? Dr Peter Brooks offers his advice to make that money last
The etymology behind 4 eggs-ellent Springtime words
We’ve explored the diverse etymology of 4 eggs-ellent words associated with spring.
Up Lit, Alexa Laugh & Meet Me at McDonald’s Hair: March’s Words In The News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this March with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.