Definition of 'Ash Wednesday'
Trends of 'Ash Wednesday'
Used Occasionally. Ash Wednesday is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'Ash Wednesday'
British English: Ash Wednesday /æʃ ˈwɛnzdɪ/ NOUN
Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent.
- American English: Ash Wednesday
- Arabic: أَرْبَعَاءُ الرَّمَاد
- Brazilian Portuguese: Quarta-feira de Cinzas
- Chinese: 复活节前第七个星期三
- Croatian: Pepelnica
- Czech: Popeleční středa
- Danish: askeonsdag
- Dutch: Aswoensdag
- European Spanish: miércoles de Ceniza
- Finnish: laskiaisviikon keskiviikko
- French: mercredi des cendres
- German: Aschermittwoch
- Greek: Πρώτη Τετάρτη της Σαρακοστής
- Italian: Mercoledì delle Ceneri
- Japanese: 灰の水曜日
- Korean: 재의 수요일
- Norwegian: askeonsdag
- Polish: Środa Popielcowa
- European Portuguese: Quarta-feira de Cinzas
- Romanian: prima miercuri din postul Paștelui
- Russian: Пепельная среда
- Spanish: miércoles de ceniza
- Swedish: askonsdag
- Thai: วันทางศาสนาคริสต์
- Turkish: Büyük perhizin ilk Çarşambası
- Ukrainian: Попільна середа
- Vietnamese: Thứ Tư Lễ Tro
Definition of Ash Wednesday from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.