Definition of 'asylum seeker'
Example sentences containing 'asylum seeker'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Norway received 30,000 asylum seekers last year. Times, Sunday Times (2016)He would not comment on whether it was right for the target to include refugees and asylum seekers. Times, Sunday Times (2014)The quota of asylum seekers for each country would be decided on the basis of their wealth and population. Times, Sunday Times (2016)They were asylum seekers trying to get to Europe. The Sun (2014)Today, it is full of volunteers giving mock job interviews to refugees and asylum seekers. Times, Sunday Times (2016)I now have a lot more understanding of the situations refugees and asylum seekers are in. Times, Sunday Times (2006)The school takes many pupils who are refugees or asylum seekers, Ofsted said. Times, Sunday Times (2013)
Translations for 'asylum seeker'
British English: asylum seeker /əˈsaɪləm ˈsiːkə/ NOUN
An asylum seeker is a person who is trying to get asylum in a foreign country.
Fewer than 7% of asylum seekers are accepted as political refugees.
- American English: asylum seeker
- Arabic: طَالِبٌ لِلـُجُوء
- Brazilian Portuguese: pessoa que procura asilo em outro país
- Chinese: 寻求庇护者
- Croatian: azilant
- Czech: azylant
- Danish: asylansøger
- Dutch: asielzoeker
- European Spanish: solicitante de asilo
- Finnish: turvapaikanhakija
- French: demandeur d’asile
- German: Asylant
- Greek: άτομο που ζητά άσυλο
- Italian: richiedente asilo politico
- Japanese: 亡命者
- Korean: 망명자
- Norwegian: asylsøker
- Polish: osoba starająca się o azyl
- European Portuguese: pessoa que procura asilo noutro país
- Romanian: azilant
- Russian: ищущий убежища
- Spanish: solicitante de asilo
- Swedish: asylsökande
- Thai: ผู้แสวงหาที่ลี้ภัย
- Turkish: sığınmacı
- Ukrainian: шукач притулку
- Vietnamese: người truy tìm người ẩn náu
Definition of asylum seeker from the Collins English Dictionary
5 unusual words & phrases to upgrade your World Cup 2018 banter
Impress your friends, family and colleagues with this unusual collection of football lingo.
VAR, planebae & a peng sort: July’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this July with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.