Definition of 'backpacker'
Example sentences containing 'backpacker'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Little wonder it's the sort of book that you find at hostels favoured by backpackers. Times, Sunday Times (2016)Try Goa, which is cheap and full of young backpackers. Times, Sunday Times (2010)It takes me to South-East Asia on long bus journeys and to backpacker hostels. Times, Sunday Times (2007)Most western visitors are young backpackers, who have opened up swathes of all three countries since the 1990s. Times, Sunday Times (2016)
Trends of 'backpacker'
Used Occasionally. backpacker is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'backpacker'
British English: backpacker /ˈbækˌpækə/ NOUN
A backpacker is a person who goes travelling with a backpack.
- American English: backpacker
- Arabic: حَامِل حَقِيبَةُ الظَهْر
- Brazilian Portuguese: mochileiro
- Chinese: 背包客
- Croatian: turist s naprtnjačom
- Czech: turista
- Danish: rygsækrejsende
- Dutch: trekker met rugzak
- European Spanish: mochilero
- Finnish: reppuselkämatkailija
- French: randonneur
- German: Wanderer
- Greek: τουρίστας χαμηλού προϋπολογισμού
- Italian: escursionista
- Japanese: バックパッカー
- Korean: 배낭 여행자
- Norwegian: ryggsekkturist
- Polish: turysta wędrujący z plecakiem
- European Portuguese: viajante de mochila
- Romanian: persoană care călătorește cu rucsacul în spate
- Russian: пеший турист
- Spanish: mochilero
- Swedish: backpacker
- Thai: ผู้ใส่กระเป๋าสะพายหลัง
- Turkish: sırt çantasıyla dolaşan gezgin
- Ukrainian: піший турист
- Vietnamese: du khách ba lô
Definition of backpacker from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Meme Ban, Heart Age & Collagin: September’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this September with Robert Groves.
Unlock language with the Paul Noble method
No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Your chance to have a one-to-one lesson with best-selling language expert Paul Noble, try a FREE audio sample of his brand new Mandarin Chinese course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.