Definition of 'betting shop'
Example sentences containing 'betting shop'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
The centre was little more than a soulless shopping complex; butchers, newsagents, betting shop, a Kwik Save supermarket. A NASTY DOSE OF DEATH`You don't know what the blokes in the betting shop are like. IN REAL LIFEShe thought of the weekend computer course that her mum had wanted to go on just before she'd stopped working in the betting shop. IN REAL LIFE
Trends of 'betting shop'
Used Rarely. betting shop is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'betting shop'
British English: betting shop /ˈbɛtɪŋ ʃɒp/ NOUN
A betting shop is a place where people can go to bet on something such as a horse race.
- American English: betting shop
- Arabic: مَكْتَبُ الـمُراهَنَة
- Brazilian Portuguese: casa de apostas
- Chinese: 彩票销售店
- Croatian: kladionica
- Czech: sázková kancelář
- Danish: bookmaker
- Dutch: bookmaker
- European Spanish: casa de apuestas
- Finnish: vedonlyöntitoimisto
- French: PMU
- German: Wettbüro
- Greek: πρακτορείο στοιχημάτων
- Italian: agenzia di scommesse
- Japanese: 賭け屋
- Korean: 사설 마권 판매장
- Norwegian: bookmaker
- Polish: punkt przyjmowania zakładów
- European Portuguese: casa de apostas
- Romanian: casă de pariuri
- Russian: букмекерская контора
- Spanish: casa de apuestas
- Swedish: vadslagningsbutik
- Thai: ร้านรับพนัน
- Turkish: bahis bayii
- Ukrainian: букмекерська контора
- Vietnamese: cửa hàng cá cược
Definition of betting shop from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Meme Ban, Heart Age & Collagin: September’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this September with Robert Groves.
Collins Reference Catalogue 2019
View our new 2019 reference catalogue. From dictionaries, phrasebooks, language learning, atlases and maps, general reference and puzzles, you'll be sure to find books that appeal to you.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.