1. a gust of wind; strong rush of air
2. the sound of a sudden rush of air or gas, as through a trumpet
3. a strong, artificially created jet of air, steam, exhaust gases, etc.
a. an explosion, as of dynamite
b. a charge of explosive causing this
7. Us a strong, sudden outburst, as of criticism
10. to make a loud, harsh sound
12. to suffer or wither from a blight
13. to damage or destroy by or as if by a blight; wither; ruin
14. to blow up or move with or as with an explosive; explode
15. Us to attack or criticize sharply
16. Us, Sport; Slang to drive (a ball) far with a sharp blow of the bat or club
Webster’s New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition, compiled by the
editors of Webster’s New World Dictionaries. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton
Mifflin Harcourt. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.