Definition of 'call box'
Trends of 'call box'
Used Rarely. call box is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'call box'
British English: call box /kɔːl bɒks/ NOUN
A call box is a small shelter in the street in which there is a public telephone.
- American English: phone booth
- Arabic: كُشْكُ التِلِيفُون
- Brazilian Portuguese: cabina telefônica
- Chinese: 公共电话亭
- Croatian: telefonska govornica
- Czech: telefonní budka
- Danish: telefonboks
- Dutch: telefooncel
- European Spanish: cabina telefónica
- Finnish: puhelinkoppi
- French: cabine téléphonique
- German: Telefonzelle
- Greek: τηλεφωνικός θάλαμος
- Italian: cabina telefonica
- Japanese: 公衆電話ボックス
- Korean: 공중 전화 박스
- Norwegian: telefonboks
- Polish: budka telefoniczna
- European Portuguese: cabina telefónica
- Romanian: cabină telefonică
- Russian: телефонная будка
- Spanish: cabina telefónica
- Swedish: telefonkiosk
- Thai: ตู้โทรศัพท์
- Turkish: telefon kulübesi
- Ukrainian: телефонна будка
- Vietnamese: buồng điện thoại
Definition of call box from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Unlock language with the Paul Noble method
No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Your chance to have a one-to-one lesson with best-selling language expert Paul Noble, try a FREE audio sample of his brand new Mandarin Chinese course.
13th edition of the Collins Dictionary out now!
Updated with all the very latest new words and senses, this new 13th edition is an unparalleled resource for word lovers, word gamers, and word geeks everywhere. #homeoflivingenglish
We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge!
Rainbow Tree, Asymmetric Wreath, and Period Poverty: November’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this November with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.