Definition of 'call for'
Translations for 'call for'
British English: call for /kɔːl fɔː/ VERB
If you call for someone or something, you go to collect them.
I shall be calling for you at seven o'clock.
- American English: call for
- Arabic: يَدْعو إلى
- Brazilian Portuguese: requerer
- Chinese: 号召
- Croatian: doći
- Czech: vyzvednout koho kde
- Danish: hente
- Dutch: ophalen
- European Spanish: pasar a recoger
- Finnish: noutaa tilanne tms.
- French: requérir
- German: anfordern
- Greek: περνώ να πάρω
- Italian: passare a prendere
- Japanese: 要求する
- Korean: (…)를 데리러 가다
- Norwegian: spørre etter
- Polish: wezwać do
- European Portuguese: invocar
- Romanian: a merge după cineva
- Russian: зайти за (кем-либо, чем-либо)
- Spanish: recoger
- Swedish: ropa på
- Thai: เรียกหา
- Turkish: gerektirmek
- Ukrainian: заходити по
- Vietnamese: đến rước
Definition of call for from the Collins English Dictionary
GDPR, yanny/laurel & MadaBaka Beat: May’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this May with Robert Groves.
Ruby Chocolate, Fatberg & Right to be Forgotten: April’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this month with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.