Definition of 'computer science'
Example sentences containing 'computer science'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
The new curriculum tends towards programming and computer science. Times, Sunday Times (2014)Wouldn't it really be more sensible to take up accounting or computer science instead? The Times Literary Supplement (2010)His flair for computer science seems to have considerably exceeded his grasp of British geography. Times, Sunday Times (2015)Computer science coming on to the primary school curriculum in September is a big step forward. The Sun (2014)But for a wasted generation, computer science in schools has languished at the expense of something else entirely. Times, Sunday Times (2012)He had intended to study computer science, but found he wasn't good enough. Times, Sunday Times (2013)After my apprenticeship and some years as a master craftsman I went to university to read mathematics with computer science. Times, Sunday Times (2014)
Trends of 'computer science'
Used Occasionally. computer science is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'computer science'
British English: computer science /kəmˈpjuːtə ˈsaɪəns/ NOUN
Computer science is the study of computers and their application.
- American English: computer science
- Arabic: عِلْمُ الـحاسِب الآلي
- Brazilian Portuguese: ciência da computação
- Chinese: 计算机科学
- Croatian: računalna znanost
- Czech: informatika
- Danish: computervidenskab
- Dutch: computerwetenschap
- European Spanish: informática
- Finnish: tietojenkäsittelytiede
- French: informatique
- German: Computerwissenschaft
- Greek: επιστήμη υπολογιστών
- Italian: informatica
- Japanese: コンピューター科学
- Korean: 컴퓨터 과학
- Norwegian: informatikk
- Polish: informatyka
- European Portuguese: informática
- Romanian: informatică
- Russian: теория вычислительных систем
- Spanish: ciencia informática
- Swedish: datavetenskap
- Thai: วิทยาศาสตร์คอมพิวเตอร์
- Turkish: bilgisayar bilimi
- Ukrainian: комп'ютерна наука
- Vietnamese: khoa học máy tính
Definition of computer science from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.