Definition of 'dipstick'
Trends of 'dipstick'
Used Rarely. dipstick is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'dipstick'
British English: dipstick /ˈdɪpˌstɪk/ NOUN
A dipstick is a metal rod with marks along one end. It is used to measure the amount of liquid in a container, especially the amount of oil in a car engine.
- American English: dipstick
- Arabic: قَضِيب قِيَاس العُمْق
- Brazilian Portuguese: vareta medidora de nível
- Chinese: 量油计
- Croatian: mjerač razine ulja u motoru
- Czech: měrka oleje v motoru
- Danish: målepind
- Dutch: peilstok
- European Spanish: varilla medidora del aceite
- Finnish: mittatikku
- French: jauge
- German: Messstab
- Greek: βυθομετρική ράβδος
- Italian: asta di livello dell’olio
- Japanese: ディップスティック
- Korean: 유량계
- Norwegian: peilepinne
- Polish: wskaźnik poziomu oleju
- European Portuguese: vareta medidora de nível
- Romanian: jojă
- Russian: измерительный щуп
- Spanish: varilla medidora del aceite
- Swedish: oljesticka
- Thai: ก้านโลหะที่ใช้ตรวจว่ามีน้ำมันอยู่ในแท๊งค์เท่าไหร่
- Turkish: yağ çubuğu
- Ukrainian: вимірювальний стрижень
- Vietnamese: que đo mực nước
Definition of dipstick from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Smarter tech can be a game-changer for those with different needs
Improving accessibility when banking is a key focus this year, here are some of ways tech is helping make managing money easier for everyone.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.