Definition of 'dual carriageway'
Example sentences containing 'dual carriageway'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Simply widen the existing road into a dual carriageway. Times, Sunday Times (2014)It turned out to be the central reservation of a dual carriageway. The Sun (2015)The primary school attended by my grandchild is adjacent to a busy dual carriageway which could soon be widened. Times, Sunday Times (2008)Our bus took us down a dual carriageway, over a hill and then the road stopped. For Love or Money (2006)Drivers on a busy dual carriageway yesterday had to swerve around a bath. The Sun (2014)Hundreds of motorists have been banned from driving after taking part in 100mph street races that turned a dual carriageway into a racetrack. Times, Sunday Times (2013)We in Norfolk still have no continuous dual carriageway north, south or west. Times, Sunday Times (2007)
Trends of 'dual carriageway'
Used Rarely. dual carriageway is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'dual carriageway'
British English: dual carriageway /ˈdjuːəl ˈkærɪdʒˌweɪ/ NOUN
A dual carriageway is a road which has two lanes of traffic travelling in each direction with a strip of grass or concrete down the middle to separate the two lots of traffic.
- American English: four-lane highway
- Arabic: طَرِيقٌ مُزْدَوِجٌ لِلسِّيَّارات
- Brazilian Portuguese: auto-estrada
- Chinese: 双行道
- Croatian: dvotračna cesta
- Czech: dvouproudová vozovka
- Danish: hovedvej med midterrabat
- Dutch: vierbaansweg
- European Spanish: autovía
- Finnish: kaksikaistainen ajorata
- French: quatre-voies
- German: doppelspurige Schnellstraße
- Greek: οδός διπλής κατεύθυνσης
- Italian: corsia doppia
- Japanese: 中央分離帯付き道路
- Korean: 중앙 분리대가 있는 도로
- Norwegian: vei med midtrabatt
- Polish: droga dwupasmowa
- European Portuguese: via de duas faixas de rodagem
- Romanian: autostradă
- Russian: проезжая часть с двусторонним движением
- Spanish: carretera
- Swedish: tvåfilig väg
- Thai: ทางรถคู่
- Turkish: çift-şeritli yol
- Ukrainian: дорога з багаторядовим рухом
- Vietnamese: đường cao tốc phân làn
Definition of dual carriageway from the Collins English Dictionary
Fed up with the great British weather? Here’s how to afford that dream summer escape
From planning early to knowing where to look, these top tips will help you fulfil your summer holiday desires
The etymology behind 4 eggs-ellent Springtime words
We’ve explored the diverse etymology of 4 eggs-ellent words associated with spring.
Up Lit, Alexa Laugh & Meet Me at McDonald’s Hair: March’s Words In The News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this March with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.