Definition of 'elementary school'
Example sentences containing 'elementary school'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Trends of 'elementary school'
Used Occasionally. elementary school is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'elementary school'
British English: elementary school /ˌɛlɪˈmɛntərɪ skuːl/ NOUN
An elementary school is a school where children are taught for the first six or sometimes eight years of their education.
He is in his fourth year of elementary school.
- American English: elementary school
- Arabic: مَدْرَسَةٌ اِبْتِدَائِيَّة
- Brazilian Portuguese: escola primária
- Chinese: 小学
- Croatian: osnovna škola
- Czech: základní škola
- Danish: grundskole
- Dutch: basisschool
- European Spanish: escuela primaria
- Finnish: alakoulu
- French: école élémentaire
- German: Grundschule
- Greek: δημοτικό σχολείο
- Italian: scuola elementare
- Japanese: 小学校
- Korean: 초등학교
- Norwegian: grunnskole
- Polish: szkoła podstawowa
- European Portuguese: escola primária
- Romanian: școală elementară
- Russian: начальная школа
- Spanish: escuela primaria
- Swedish: grundskola
- Thai: โรงเรียนระดับประถมศึกษา
- Turkish: ilkokul
- Ukrainian: початкова школа
- Vietnamese: trường tiểu học
Definition of elementary school from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.