Definition of 'fire escape'
Example sentences containing 'fire escape'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
The wall was festooned with iron fire escape ladders, but he found the door he was looking for. A SEASON IN HELL (2002)She fell from the fire escape on the second floor into the courtyard. A SEASON IN HELL (2002)You'll be able to get out on to the fire escape from the first floor. ALASTAIR MCLEAN'S 'NIGHT WATCH' (2002)
Trends of 'fire escape'
Used Rarely. fire escape is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'fire escape'
British English: fire escape /ˈfaɪə ɪˈskeɪp/ NOUN
A fire escape is a metal staircase on the outside of a building, which can be used to escape from the building if there is a fire.
- American English: fire escape
- Arabic: سُلَّمُ النَّجَاةِ مِنَ الـحَرِيق
- Brazilian Portuguese: saída de emergência
- Chinese: 防火梯
- Croatian: izlaz u slučaju požara
- Czech: požární schodiště
- Danish: brandtrappe
- Dutch: brandtrap
- European Spanish: escalera de incendios
- Finnish: paloportaat
- French: sortie de secours
- German: Feuerleiter
- Greek: έξοδος κινδύνου για πυρκαγιά
- Italian: scala antincendio
- Japanese: 非常階段
- Korean: 화재 피난 장치
- Norwegian: rømningsvei
- Polish: wyjście ewakuacyjne
- European Portuguese: saída de emergência
- Romanian: ieșire de incendiu
- Russian: пожарный выход
- Spanish: escalera de incendios
- Swedish: nödutgång
- Thai: ทางหนีไฟ
- Turkish: yangın çıkışı
- Ukrainian: пожежний вихід
- Vietnamese: lối thoát hiểm
Definition of fire escape from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Live well without sacrificing your quality of life
Now is the perfect time to start thinking ahead. Here’s how a busy family can take control of their financial future
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.