Definition of 'four-wheel drive'
Example sentences containing 'four-wheel drive'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
A four-wheel drive vehicle is not needed unless planning to go off-road on dirt tracks used by the forestry department. Times, Sunday Times (2017)Some streets can become clogged with four-wheel drive vehicles on the school run. Times, Sunday Times (2010)As long as they owned four-wheel drive vehicles. The Sun (2007)Afterwards we piled into a four-wheel drive vehicle and joined a convoy of 40 cars racing through the desert night. Times, Sunday Times (2007)
Translations for 'four-wheel drive'
British English: four-wheel drive /ˈfɔːˌwiːl draɪv/ NOUN
A four-wheel drive is a vehicle in which all four wheels receive power from the engine.
- American English: four-wheel drive
- Arabic: الدَفْع ُ الرُبَاعِيّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: tração nas quatro rodas
- Chinese: 四轮驱动
- Croatian: pogon na sva četiri kotača
- Czech: pohon na čtyři kola
- Danish: firhjulstrækker
- Dutch: vierwielaandrijving
- European Spanish: tracción en las cuatro ruedas
- Finnish: nelipyöräveto
- French: quatre-quatre
- German: Vierradantrieb
- Greek: κίνηση στους τέσσερις τροχούς
- Italian: quattro ruote motrici
- Japanese: 四輪駆動
- Korean: 사륜구동
- Norwegian: firehjulstrekker
- Polish: napęd czterokołowy
- European Portuguese: tração às quatro rodas
- Romanian: motor 4x4
- Russian: полный привод
- Spanish: tracción en las cuatro ruedas
- Swedish: fyrhjulsdrift
- Thai: การขับทั้งสี่ล้อ
- Turkish: dört çekerli
- Ukrainian: повний привід
- Vietnamese: xe bốn bánh
Definition of four-wheel drive from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.