Definition of 'letterbox'
Video: pronunciation of 'letterbox'
Example sentences containing 'letterbox'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Put a cover over the letterbox flap, too. Times, Sunday Times (2010)I can still hear the noise of the letterbox flap. Times, Sunday Times (2008)For these couples, wedding guests can purchase a door, a letterbox or a few hundred bricks. Times, Sunday Times (2015)
Translations for 'letterbox'
British English: letterbox /ˈlɛtəˌbɒks/ NOUN
A letterbox is a rectangular hole in a door through which letters are delivered.
- American English: mail slot
- Arabic: صُنْدُوقٌ لِلْخِطَابَاتِ
- Brazilian Portuguese: caixa de correio
- Chinese: 邮筒
- Croatian: poštanski ormarić
- Czech: schránka na dopisy
- Danish: brevkasse
- Dutch: brievenbus
- European Spanish: buzón IngBrit
- Finnish: postilaatikko
- French: boîte aux lettres
- German: Briefkasten
- Greek: γραμματοκιβώτιο
- Italian: buca delle lettere
- Japanese: 郵便受
- Korean: 편지함
- Norwegian: postkasse
- Polish: skrzynka na listy
- European Portuguese: caixa de correio
- Romanian: cutie de scrisori
- Russian: почтовый ящик
- Spanish: buzón
- Swedish: brevlåda
- Thai: ตู้จดหมาย
- Turkish: posta kutusu
- Ukrainian: поштова скринька
- Vietnamese: hộp thư
British English: letterbox ADJECTIVE
If something is displayed on a television or computer screen in letterbox format, it is displayed across the middle of the screen with dark bands at the top and bottom of the screen.
- American English: letterbox
- Brazilian Portuguese: com faixas negras
- Chinese: > 宽屏带黑边的电视或电脑上的影像
- European Spanish: en formato apaisado
- French: letterbox
- German: Briefkasten-
- Italian: letterbox
- Japanese: レターボックス 形式 の>テレビ放映で画面の上下が黒く切れる状態
- Korean: 레터박스
- European Portuguese: de formato letterbox
- Spanish: en formato apaisado
Definition of letterbox from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Unlock language with the Paul Noble method
No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Your chance to have a one-to-one lesson with best-selling language expert Paul Noble, try a FREE audio sample of his brand new Mandarin Chinese course.
13th edition of the Collins Dictionary out now!
Updated with all the very latest new words and senses, this new 13th edition is an unparalleled resource for word lovers, word gamers, and word geeks everywhere. #homeoflivingenglish
We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge!
Rainbow Tree, Asymmetric Wreath, and Period Poverty: November’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this November with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.