Definition of 'letterbox'
Video: pronunciation of 'letterbox'
Example sentences containing 'letterbox'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Translations for 'letterbox'
British English: letterbox /ˈlɛtəˌbɒks/ NOUN
A letterbox is a rectangular hole in a door through which letters are delivered.
- American English: mail slot
- Arabic: صُنْدُوقٌ لِلْخِطَابَاتِ
- Brazilian Portuguese: caixa de correio
- Chinese: 邮筒
- Croatian: poštanski ormarić
- Czech: schránka na dopisy
- Danish: brevkasse
- Dutch: brievenbus
- European Spanish: buzón IngBrit
- Finnish: postilaatikko
- French: boîte aux lettres
- German: Briefkasten
- Greek: γραμματοκιβώτιο
- Italian: buca delle lettere
- Japanese: 郵便受
- Korean: 편지함
- Norwegian: postkasse
- Polish: skrzynka na listy
- European Portuguese: caixa de correio
- Romanian: cutie de scrisori
- Russian: почтовый ящик
- Spanish: buzón
- Swedish: brevlåda
- Thai: ตู้จดหมาย
- Turkish: posta kutusu
- Ukrainian: поштова скринька
- Vietnamese: hộp thư
British English: letterbox ADJECTIVE
If something is displayed on a television or computer screen in letterbox format, it is displayed across the middle of the screen with dark bands at the top and bottom of the screen.
- American English: letterbox
- Brazilian Portuguese: com faixas negras
- Chinese: > 宽屏带黑边的电视或电脑上的影像
- European Spanish: en formato apaisado
- French: letterbox
- German: Briefkasten-
- Italian: letterbox
- Japanese: レターボックス 形式 の>テレビ放映で画面の上下が黒く切れる状態
- Korean: 레터박스
- European Portuguese: de formato letterbox
- Spanish: en formato apaisado
Definition of letterbox from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Live well without sacrificing your quality of life
Now is the perfect time to start thinking ahead. Here’s how a busy family can take control of their financial future
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.