Definition of 'maiden name'
Example sentences containing 'maiden name'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
I wonder if Robin knows it - her mother's maiden name, I mean. ADRIENNE AND THE CHALET SCHOOL (2002)Everything's top secret these days. They won't even give you Margaret Thatcher's maiden name without a password. THE SOUND OF MURDER (2002)He'd asked her if his father's name had really been Kelly, since that seemed to be her maiden name, too. DANSVILLE (2002)
Trends of 'maiden name'
Used Occasionally. maiden name is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'maiden name'
British English: maiden name /ˈmeɪdn neɪm/ NOUN
A married woman's maiden name is her parents' surname, which she used before she got married and started using her husband's surname.
What was your mother's maiden name?
- American English: maiden name
- Arabic: لَقَبُ الْـمَرْأةِ قَبْلَ الزَّوَاجِ
- Brazilian Portuguese: nome de solteira
- Chinese: 娘家姓
- Croatian: djevojačko prezime
- Czech: jméno za svobodna
- Danish: pigenavn før ægteskabet
- Dutch: meisjesnaam
- European Spanish: apellido de soltera
- Finnish: tyttönimi
- French: nom de jeune fille
- German: Mädchenname
- Greek: πατρικό όνομα
- Italian: cognome da nubile
- Japanese: 女性の結婚前の旧姓
- Korean: 결혼 전의 성
- Norwegian: pikenavn
- Polish: nazwisko panieńskie
- European Portuguese: nome de solteira
- Romanian: nume de fată
- Russian: девичья фамилия
- Spanish: apellido de soltera
- Swedish: flicknamn namn som ogift
- Thai: ชื่อสกุลของหญิงก่อนแต่งงาน
- Turkish: kızlık soyadı
- Ukrainian: дівоче прізвище
- Vietnamese: tên thời con gái
Definition of maiden name from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.