Definition of 'maternity leave'
Example sentences containing 'maternity leave'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Translations for 'maternity leave'
British English: maternity leave /məˈtɜːnɪtɪ liːv/ NOUN
Maternity leave is a period of paid absence from work, to which a woman is legally entitled during the months immediately before and after childbirth.
- American English: maternity leave
- Arabic: إِجَازَةُ وَضْع
- Brazilian Portuguese: licença-maternidade
- Chinese: 产假
- Croatian: porodiljni dopust
- Czech: mateřská dovolená
- Danish: barselsorlov
- Dutch: zwangerschapsverlof
- European Spanish: baja de maternidad
- Finnish: äitiysloma
- French: congé maternité
- German: Mutterschaftsurlaub
- Greek: άδεια μητρότητας
- Italian: congedo di maternità
- Japanese: 出産休暇
- Korean: 출산휴가
- Norwegian: svangerskapspermisjon
- Polish: urlop macierzyński
- European Portuguese: licença de parto
- Romanian: concediu de maternitate
- Russian: декретный отпуск
- Spanish: licencia de maternidad
- Swedish: mammaledighet
- Thai: การลาหยุดหลังคลอด
- Turkish: doğum izni
- Ukrainian: декрет
- Vietnamese: nghỉ đẻ
Definition of maternity leave from the Collins English Dictionary
5 unusual words & phrases to upgrade your World Cup 2018 banter
Impress your friends, family and colleagues with this unusual collection of football lingo.
VAR, planebae & a peng sort: July’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this July with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.