Definition of 'native speaker'
Example sentences containing 'native speaker'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
How native speakers use the language is the only evidence we have for what English is. Times, Sunday Times (2013)Research suggests that although pupils who are not native speakers struggle at first, most make up any lost ground by the time they reach secondary school. Times, Sunday Times (2007)
Trends of 'native speaker'
Used Occasionally. native speaker is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'native speaker'
British English: native speaker /ˈneɪtɪv ˈspiːkə/ NOUN
A native speaker of a language is someone who speaks that language as their first language rather than having learned it as a foreign language.
Our programme ensures daily opportunities to practise your study language with native speakers.
- American English: native speaker
- Arabic: مُتَحَدِّثٌ بِاللُّغَةِ الُأمّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: falante de língua materna
- Chinese: 说本族语的人
- Croatian: izvorni govornik
- Czech: rodilý mluvčí
- Danish: modersmålstalende
- Dutch: spreker van eigen taal
- European Spanish: hablante nativo
- Finnish: syntyperäinen kielenpuhuja
- French: locuteur natif
- German: Muttersprachler
- Greek: αυτός που μιλά τη μητρική του γλώσσα
- Italian: madrelingua
- Japanese: 母国語とする人
- Korean: 원어민
- Norwegian: morsmålsbruker
- Polish: rodzimy użytkownik języka
- European Portuguese: falante de língua materna
- Romanian: vorbitor nativ
- Russian: носитель языка
- Spanish: hablante nativo
- Swedish: person med visst språk som modersmål
- Thai: เจ้าของภาษา
- Turkish: anadilini konuşan
- Ukrainian: носій мови
- Vietnamese: người bản ngữ
Definition of native speaker from the Collins English Dictionary
5 unusual words & phrases to upgrade your World Cup 2018 banter
Impress your friends, family and colleagues with this unusual collection of football lingo.
VAR, planebae & a peng sort: July’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this July with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.