Definition of 'nervous breakdown'
Translations for 'nervous breakdown'
British English: nervous breakdown /ˈnɜːvəs ˈbreɪkdaʊn/ NOUN
If someone has a nervous breakdown, they become extremely depressed and anxious, and have to be treated by a psychiatrist.
His wife would not be able to cope and might suffer a nervous breakdown.
- American English: nervous breakdown
- Arabic: انْهِيارٌ عَصَبِيٌّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: esgotamento nervoso
- Chinese: 精神崩溃
- Croatian: slom živaca
- Czech: nervové zhroucení
- Danish: nervøst sammenbrud
- Dutch: zenuwinzinking
- European Spanish: crisis nerviosa
- Finnish: hermoromahdus
- French: dépression nerveuse
- German: Nervenzusammenbruch
- Greek: νευρικός κλονισμός
- Italian: esaurimento nervoso
- Japanese: 神経衰弱
- Korean: 신경 쇠약
- Norwegian: nervøst sammenbrudd
- Polish: załamanie nerwowe
- European Portuguese: esgotamento nervoso
- Romanian: cădere nervoasă
- Russian: нервный срыв
- Spanish: crisis nerviosa
- Swedish: nervsammanbrott
- Thai: ช่วงเวลาที่เจ็บป่วยทางจิต
- Turkish: sinir krizi
- Ukrainian: нервовий зрив
- Vietnamese: suy nhược thần kinh
Definition of nervous breakdown from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Meme Ban, Heart Age & Collagin: September’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this September with Robert Groves.
Collins Reference Catalogue 2019
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.