Definition of 'off-licence'
Image of 'off-licence'
© Iakov Filimonov, shutterstock
Example sentences containing 'off-licence'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Taking pot luck at the corner shop or off-licence is asking for a dud. Times, Sunday Times (2012)Twelve pounds is what my local off-licence charges for a whole bottle of petit chablis. Times, Sunday Times (2011)An employee had to be sent out to a local off-licence. Times, Sunday Times (2015)IT'S a bad sign when the local off-licence owner turns up at your flat looking to renew his stock. The Sun (2013)More than a hundred wine producers, brewers and drinks distributors stand to lose millions of pounds under a proposed company voluntary arrangement at the off-licence chain. Times, Sunday Times (2011)
Trends of 'off-licence'
Used Rarely. off-licence is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'off-licence'
British English: off-licence /ˈɒfˌlaɪsəns/ NOUN
An off-licence is a shop which sells alcoholic drinks.
- American English: liquor store
- Arabic: مَحَلٌ يُبِيعُ الـخُمُورِ لِتَنَاوُلِهَا خَارِجَ الـمَحَلِّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: loja de bebidas alcoólicas
- Chinese: 酒品专卖店
- Croatian: trgovina koja prodaje alkohol
- Czech: alkoholické nápoje obchod
- Danish: vin- og spiritusforretning
- Dutch: slijterij
- European Spanish: tienda de vinos y licores
- Finnish: alkoholiliike
- French: débit de boissons
- German: Wein- und Spirituosenhandlung
- Greek: κατάστημα πώλησης οινοπνευματωδών ποτών
- Italian: negozio di alcolici
- Japanese: 酒類販売免許
- Korean: 주류판매 면허
- Norwegian: vin- og brennevinsbutikk
- Polish: koncesja alkoholowa
- European Portuguese: loja de bebidas alcoólicas
- Romanian: local unde se vând băuturi pentru acasă
- Russian: разрешение на продажу спиртного навынос
- Spanish: tienda de vinos y licores
- Swedish: vin- och spritbutik
- Thai: ร้านขายสุรา
- Turkish: içki satan dükkan
- Ukrainian: бар, де дозволено продавати спиртні напої на виніс
- Vietnamese: cửa hàng rượu
Definition of off-licence from the Collins English Dictionary
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
Unlock language with the Paul Noble method
No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Your chance to have a one-to-one lesson with best-selling language expert Paul Noble, try a FREE audio sample of his brand new Mandarin Chinese course.
13th edition of the Collins Dictionary out now!
Updated with all the very latest new words and senses, this new 13th edition is an unparalleled resource for word lovers, word gamers, and word geeks everywhere. #homeoflivingenglish
We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge!
Rainbow Tree, Asymmetric Wreath, and Period Poverty: November’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this November with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.