Definition of 'oil rig'
Example sentences containing 'oil rig'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
They are watching mountains for climbers and seas for oil rigs. Times, Sunday Times (2008)Wind farms and oil rigs pollute the sea with noise, so whales are having to raise their voices to be heard. Times, Sunday Times (2010)Engineering firms like gas plants or oil rigs will also have to share the bill with taxpayers for the new inspectors, which could top 4million. The Sun (2010)
Trends of 'oil rig'
Used Rarely. oil rig is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'oil rig'
British English: oil rig /ɔɪl rɪɡ/ NOUN
An oil rig is a structure on land or in the sea that is used when getting oil from the ground.
- American English: oil rig
- Arabic: جِهَازُ الـحُفَرِ الْنِفْطَيّ
- Brazilian Portuguese: torre de perfuração petróleo
- Chinese: 石油钻塔
- Croatian: platforma za podvodno bušenje
- Czech: vrtná souprava na ropu
- Danish: boreplatform
- Dutch: booreiland
- European Spanish: plataforma petrolífera
- Finnish: öljynporaustorni
- French: plate-forme pétrolière
- German: Bohrinsel
- Greek: πλατφόρμα εξόρυξης πετρελαίου
- Italian: impianto di trivellazione
- Japanese: 石油掘削装置
- Korean: 유정의 굴착장치
- Norwegian: boreplattform
- Polish: platforma wiertnicza
- European Portuguese: torre de perfuração petróleo
- Romanian: instalație de foraj
- Russian: нефтяная вышка
- Spanish: plataforma petrolífera
- Swedish: oljeborrplattform
- Thai: แท่นเจาะน้ำมัน
- Turkish: petrol platformu
- Ukrainian: обладнання для буріння свердловин
- Vietnamese: giàn khoan dầu
Definition of oil rig from the Collins English Dictionary
5 unusual words & phrases to upgrade your World Cup 2018 banter
Impress your friends, family and colleagues with this unusual collection of football lingo.
VAR, planebae & a peng sort: July’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this July with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.