Definition of 'overreact'
Trends of 'overreact'
Used Rarely. overreact is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'overreact'
British English: overreact VERB
If you say that someone overreacts to something, you mean that they have and show more of an emotion than is necessary or appropriate.
Is the council right to be concerned, or is it overreacting?
- American English: overreact
- Brazilian Portuguese: reagir com exagero
- Chinese: 反应过激
- European Spanish: sobrerreaccionar
- French: réagir de façon excessive
- German: überreagieren
- Italian: reagire in modo esagerato
- Japanese: 過剰反応する
- Korean: 과민 반응을 보이다
- European Portuguese: reagir com exagero
- Spanish: sobrerreaccionar
Definition of overreact from the Collins English Dictionary
GDPR, yanny/laurel & MadaBaka Beat: May’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this May with Robert Groves.
Ruby Chocolate, Fatberg & Right to be Forgotten: April’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this month with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.