Definition of 'PhD'
Trends of 'PhD'
In Common Usage. PhD is one of the 10000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'PhD'
British English: PhD /piː eɪtʃ diː/ NOUN
A PhD is a degree awarded to people who have done advanced research. PhD is an abbreviation for `Doctor of Philosophy'.
He is highly educated and has a PhD in chemistry.
- American English: PhD
- Arabic: دَرَجَةُ الْدُكْتُورَاه
- Brazilian Portuguese: PhD
- Chinese: 博士
- Croatian: doktor znanosti
- Czech: doktor filozofie
- Danish: ph.d.
- Dutch: PhD
- European Spanish: doctorado
- Finnish: filosofian tohtorin tutkinto
- French: thèse
- German: Doktorgrad
- Greek: διδακτορικός τίτλος
- Italian: dottorato di ricerca
- Japanese: 博士号
- Korean: PhD
- Norwegian: dr. philos
- Polish: tytuł doktora
- European Portuguese: doutoramento
- Romanian: doctorat
- Russian: доктор философии
- Spanish: doctorado
- Swedish: filosofie doktor
- Thai: ตัวย่อของปริญญาเอก
- Turkish: doktora
- Ukrainian: доктор наук
- Vietnamese: Tiến sĩ
Definition of PhD from the Collins English Dictionary
GDPR, yanny/laurel & MadaBaka Beat: May’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this May with Robert Groves.
Ruby Chocolate, Fatberg & Right to be Forgotten: April’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this month with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.