Definition of 'phone in'
Example sentences containing 'phone in'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
It wasn't the most difficult thing in the world to pick up the phone in New York. YELLOW BIRDThe ski patroller was standing with the phone in her hand, looking at Huckmeyer who had his head down, defeated. SNOWJOB
A phone-in programme was in progress, and the irritation he immediately felt at the banalities being exchanged kept his adrenaline flowing. THE ENDLESS GAME (2002)button on the radio, irritated by the inane phone-in that had just started. THE LAST TEMPTATION (2002)You see, what I was doing was quite different from what that sad woman on the phone-in was doing. RESCUING ROSE (2002)
Trends of 'phone in'
Used Occasionally. phone in is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'phone in'
British English: phone-in NOUN
A phone-in is a programme on radio or television in which people telephone with questions or opinions and their calls are broadcast.
She took part in a radio phone-in programme.
- American English: call-in
- Brazilian Portuguese: programa com participação dos ouvintes
- Chinese: > 听众或观众来电直播节目电台或电视台的
- European Spanish: programa de radio o televisión con las líneas abiertas al público
- French: émission ligne ouverte
- German: Phone-in
- Italian: trasmissione radiofonica o televisiva con intervento telefonico degli ascoltatori
- Japanese: 視聴者電話参加番組
- Korean: 청취자 전화 참여 프로그램
- European Portuguese: programa com participação dos ouvintes
- Spanish: programa de radio o televisión con las líneas abiertas al público
Definition of phone in from the Collins English Dictionary
5 unusual words & phrases to upgrade your World Cup 2018 banter
Impress your friends, family and colleagues with this unusual collection of football lingo.
VAR, planebae & a peng sort: July’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this July with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.