Definition of 'play-off'
Translations for 'play-off'
British English: play-off NOUN
A play-off is an extra game which is played to decide the winner of a sports competition when two or more people have got the same score.
He was beaten in a playoff.
- American English: playoff
- Brazilian Portuguese: partida de desempate
- Chinese: 夺标决赛
- European Spanish: partido de desempate
- French: belle
- German: Ausscheidungsspiel
- Italian: play off
- Japanese: プレーオフ
- Korean: 연장전
- European Portuguese: partida de desempate
- Spanish: partido de desempate
Definition of play-off from the Collins English Dictionary
5 unusual words & phrases to upgrade your World Cup 2018 banter
Impress your friends, family and colleagues with this unusual collection of football lingo.
VAR, planebae & a peng sort: July’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this July with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.