Definition of 'running mate'
Trends of 'running mate'
Used Rarely. running mate is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'running mate'
British English: running mate NOUN
In an election campaign, a candidate's running mate is the person that they have chosen to help them in the election. If the candidate wins, the running mate will become the second most important person after the winner.
He selected her as his running mate.
- American English: running mate
- Brazilian Portuguese: companheiro de chapa
- Chinese: 竞选伙伴
- European Spanish: compañero de lista
- French: candidat à la vice-présidence
- German: Vizepräsidentschaftskandidat
- Italian: candidato alla seconda carica per importanza
- Japanese: 副～候補
- Korean: 동반 출마자
- European Portuguese: running mate
- Spanish: compañero de lista
Definition of running mate from the Collins English Dictionary
GDPR, yanny/laurel & MadaBaka Beat: May’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this May with Robert Groves.
Ruby Chocolate, Fatberg & Right to be Forgotten: April’s Words in the News
Catch up on the latest words in the news this month with Robert Groves.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.