Definition of 'secret service'
Example sentences containing 'secret service'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
She also overseas the Spanish secret services and aspects of economic policy. Times, Sunday Times (2015)A country without a secret service would be too vulnerable. Times, Sunday Times (2013)But viewers may be a bit spooked by some of the storylines, which are hardly flattering to their country and its secret service. The Sun (2010)
Trends of 'secret service'
Used Occasionally. secret service is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'secret service'
British English: secret service /ˈsiːkrɪt ˈsɜːvɪs/ NOUN
A country's secret service is a government department whose job is to find out enemy secrets and to prevent its own government's secrets from being discovered.
- American English: secret service
- Arabic: خِدْمَةٌ سِرِّيَّة
- Brazilian Portuguese: serviço secreto
- Chinese: 特勤局
- Croatian: tajna služba
- Czech: tajná služba
- Danish: efterretningstjeneste
- Dutch: geheime dienst
- European Spanish: servicio secreto
- Finnish: salainen palvelu
- French: services secrets
- German: Geheimdienst
- Greek: μυστική υπηρεσία
- Italian: servizi segreti
- Japanese: 諜報機関
- Korean: 첩보부
- Norwegian: sikkerhetstjeneste
- Polish: wywiad tajna służba
- European Portuguese: serviço secreto
- Romanian: serviciu secret
- Russian: секретная служба
- Spanish: servicio secreto
- Swedish: underrättelsetjänst
- Thai: หน่วยสืบราชการลับ
- Turkish: gizli servis
- Ukrainian: розвідувальне управління
- Vietnamese: cục tình báo
Definition of secret service from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
Smarter tech can be a game-changer for those with different needs
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.