3. a gate or valve used in opening or closing a sluice; floodgate
: also sluice gate
4. any channel, esp. one for excess water
5. Us a sloping trough or flume through which water is run, as in washing gold ore, carrying logs, etc.
verb transitiveWord forms: sluiced or ˈsluicing
6. to draw off by or as by means of a sluice
a. to wash with water flowing in or from a sluice
b. to wash off with a rush of water
⇒ to sluice a deck with hoses
8. Us to carry (logs, etc.) in a sluice
9. to run or flow in or as in a sluice
Webster’s New World College Dictionary, Fourth Edition, compiled by the
editors of Webster’s New World Dictionaries. Copyright © 2010 by Houghton
Mifflin Harcourt. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved.