Definition of 'smoke alarm'
Example sentences containing 'smoke alarm'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
The electrics were dodgy, smoke alarms disabled and rooms strewn with rubbish. The Sun (2014)Smoke alarm detectors and window sensors sounded minutes before the final dramatic descent, pointing to a possible fire on board. Times, Sunday Times (2016)
Trends of 'smoke alarm'
Used Rarely. smoke alarm is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'smoke alarm'
British English: smoke alarm /sməʊk əˈlɑːm/ NOUN
A smoke alarm or a smoke detector is a device fixed to the ceiling of a room which makes a loud noise if there is smoke in the air, to warn people.
- American English: smoke detector
- Arabic: إِنْذَارُ الدُّخَان
- Brazilian Portuguese: alarme de incêndio
- Chinese: 烟雾报警器
- Croatian: uzbuna na požar
- Czech: detektor kouře
- Danish: røgalarm
- Dutch: rookmelder
- European Spanish: alarma contra incendios humo
- Finnish: palohälytin
- French: alarme incendie
- German: Rauchmelder
- Greek: συναγερμός ανίχνευσης καπνού
- Italian: allarme antifumo
- Japanese: 煙警報器
- Korean: 화재 경보
- Norwegian: røykvarsler
- Polish: czujnik dymu
- European Portuguese: alarme de incêndio
- Romanian: alarmă de fum
- Russian: дымовая пожарная сигнализация
- Spanish: alarma contra incendios
- Swedish: brandvarnare
- Thai: อุปกรณ์ตรวจจับควัน
- Turkish: duman alarmı
- Ukrainian: пожежна сигналізація
- Vietnamese: thiết bị báo cháy
Definition of smoke alarm from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.