Definition of 'southbound'
Example sentences containing 'southbound'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Step backwards, and northbound vehicles would mow you down: step forwards, and southbound ones would do it equally well. THE PRESIDENT'S CHILD (2003)After a mile or so, the road came up alongside the highway, where southbound traffic was on one road and northbound traffic on another. A PLAGUE OF ANGELS (2003)From there it would be only a few minutes to the exit to the southbound and westbound autoroute system. DOUBLE DECEIT (2003)
By three o'clock, southbound rush-hour traffic was in full force. BREACH OF DUTY (2003)
Trends of 'southbound'
Used Rarely. southbound is in the lower 50% of commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'southbound'
British English: southbound /ˈsaʊθˌbaʊnd/ ADJECTIVE
Southbound roads or vehicles lead or are travelling towards the south.
...the southbound train from the Scottish Highlands.
- American English: southbound
- Arabic: مُتَجِهٌ لِلْجَنُوب
- Brazilian Portuguese: em direção ao sul
- Chinese: 向南的
- Croatian: koji vodi prema jugu
- Czech: směřující na jih
- Danish: sydgående
- Dutch: in zuidelijke richting
- European Spanish: en dirección sur
- Finnish: etelään menevä
- French: en direction du sud
- German: nach Süden führend
- Greek: προς τα νότια
- Italian: diretto a sud
- Japanese: 南行きの
- Korean: 남쪽으로 가는
- Norwegian: sydgående
- Polish: w kierunku południowym
- European Portuguese: em direção ao sul
- Romanian: care merge către sud
- Russian: направляющийся на юг
- Spanish: en dirección sur
- Swedish: sydgående
- Thai: ที่มุ่งไปทางใต้
- Turkish: güneye giden
- Ukrainian: що прямують на південь
- Vietnamese: đi về phía nam
Definition of southbound from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.