Definition of 'speeding'
Example sentences containing 'speeding'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
The air was damp now; quiet yet weighty: full-bellied with the snarl of speeding cars in the distance. BEHINDLINGS (2002)In the Daimler speeding westwards, Heather Lawler looked across at her husband. LET NOT THE DEEP (2002)
A blur of faces, as seen through the window of a train speeding past a crowded platform. CHAMELEON (2002)
Trends of 'speeding'
In Common Usage. speeding is one of the 10000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
Translations for 'speeding'
British English: speeding /ˈspiːdɪŋ/ NOUN
Speeding means the act or process of moving or travelling quickly.
He was fined for speeding.
- American English: speeding
- Arabic: زِيَادَةُ الْسُرْعَة
- Brazilian Portuguese: excesso de velocidade
- Chinese: 超速
- Croatian: prebrza vožnja
- Czech: rychlá jízda
- Danish: fartoverskridelse
- Dutch: het te hard rijden
- European Spanish: exceso de velocidad
- Finnish: ylinopeus
- French: excès de vitesse
- German: Geschwindigkeitsüberschreitung
- Greek: υπερβολική ταχύτητα
- Italian: eccesso di velocità
- Japanese: 高速進行
- Korean: 속도내기
- Norwegian: fartsoverskridelse
- Polish: przekroczenie (dozwolonej) prędkości
- European Portuguese: excesso de velocidade
- Romanian: exces de viteză
- Russian: езда с недозволенной скоростью
- Latin American Spanish: exceso de velocidad
- Swedish: fortkörning
- Thai: การขับรถเร็ว
- Turkish: hız yapmak
- Ukrainian: рух на великій швидкості
- Vietnamese: chạy quá tốc độ cho phép
Definition of speeding from the Collins English Dictionary
New collocations added to dictionary
Collocations are words that are often used together and are brilliant at providing natural sounding language for your speech and writing.
Unlock language with the Paul Noble method
No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Your chance to have a one-to-one lesson with best-selling language expert Paul Noble, try a FREE audio sample of his brand new Mandarin Chinese course.
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge!
13th edition of the Collins Dictionary out now!
Updated with all the very latest new words and senses, this new 13th edition is an unparalleled resource for word lovers, word gamers, and word geeks everywhere. #homeoflivingenglish
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.