Definition of 'United Nations'
Example sentences containing 'United Nations'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Whisked about in a Cadillac, marched along ranks of men to inspect troops, given ovations at the United Nations Assembly in New York. KARA KUSH (1997)In fact, only a handful of delegates at the United Nations really knew what lay behind that unmarked outer door. ALASTAIR MCLEAN'S 'NIGHT WATCH' (1997)
Translations for 'United Nations'
British English: United Nations /juːˈnaɪtɪd ˈneɪʃənz/ NOUN
The United Nations is a worldwide organization which most countries belong to. Its role is to encourage international peace, cooperation, and friendship.
- American English: United Nations
- Arabic: الُأمـَمُ الـمُتَّحِدَة
- Brazilian Portuguese: Nações Unidas
- Chinese: 联合国
- Croatian: Ujedinjeni narodi
- Czech: Spojené národy
- Danish: de Forenede Nationer
- Dutch: Verenigde Naties
- European Spanish: Organización de las Naciones Unidas
- Finnish: Yhdistyneet kansakunnat
- French: Nations Unies
- German: Vereinte Nationen
- Greek: Ηνωμένα Έθνη
- Italian: Nazioni Unite
- Japanese: 国際連合
- Korean: 국제연합
- Norwegian: Forente Nasjoner
- Polish: Organizacja Narodów Zjednoczonych
- European Portuguese: Nações Unidas
- Romanian: Națiunile Unite
- Russian: Организация Объединенных Наций
- Spanish: Organización de las Naciones Unidas
- Swedish: Förenta nationerna
- Thai: องค์การสหประชาชาติ
- Turkish: Birleşmiş Milletler
- Ukrainian: Організація Об'єднаних Націй
- Vietnamese: Liên hợp quốc
Definition of United Nations from the Collins English Dictionary
The language of love: 5 ways to express your love on Valentine’s Day
In the market for some new terms of endearment? Here’s the etymology behind some of the most popular.
Part One: Unlocking Mandarin with Paul Noble
We sent one of the Collins team for a one-to-one learning experience with the man himself, and here’s how they found part one of the course.
Live well without sacrificing your quality of life
Now is the perfect time to start thinking ahead. Here’s how a busy family can take control of their financial future
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.