English translation of 'Abstrich'
1. (= Kürzung) cutback
Abstriche machen to cut back (an +dat on); (= weniger erwarten etc) to lower one’s sights
2. (medicine) swab
(= Gebärmutterabstrich) smear
einen Abstrich machen to take a swab/smear
Copyright © by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Trends of 'Abstrich'
Used Occasionally. Abstrich is one of the 30000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage for:
'Abstrich' in Other Languages
British English: smear /smɪə/ NOUN
medical test A smear or a smear test is a medical test in which a few cells are taken from a woman's body and examined to see if any cancer cells are present.
- American English: pap smear
- Arabic: فَحْصُ عُنْقِ الرَّحْم
- Brazilian Portuguese: Papanicolau exame citopatológico do colo uterino
- Chinese: 宫颈涂片检查
- Croatian: papa test
- Czech: výtěr z děložního hrdla
- Danish: smear-test
- Dutch: uitstrijkje
- European Spanish: citología
- Finnish: papa-koe
- French: frottis
- German: Abstrich
- Greek: τεστ Παπανικολάου
- Italian: Pap test
- Japanese: 塗沫検査
- Korean: 도말 표본 검사
- Norwegian: celleprøve
- Polish: wymaz
- European Portuguese: papanicolau exame citopatológico do colo uterino
- Romanian: test Papanicolau
- Russian: мазок со слизистой оболочки шейки матки
- Spanish: citología
- Swedish: cellprov
- Thai: การตรวจภายใน
- Turkish: Pap smear testi
- Ukrainian: мазок
- Vietnamese: xét nghiệm phết tế bào cổ tử cung
Translation of Abstrich from the Collins German to English
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.
Unlock German with the Paul Noble method
Take your German to the next level with Paul's tried and tested method. No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Next Steps is an intermediate course, which follows on from the Complete German Beginner's course- available to pre-order now!