Definition of 'lipread'
Translations for 'lipread'
British English: lip-read /ˈlɪpˌriːd/ VERB
If someone can lip-read, they are able to understand what someone else is saying by looking at the way the other person's lips move as they speak, without actually hearing any of the words.
They are not given hearing aids or taught to lip-read.
- American English: lip-read
- Arabic: يَقْرَأُ حَرَكَاتِ الْشِفَاهِ
- Brazilian Portuguese: ler os lábios
- Chinese: 唇读
- Croatian: čitati s usnica
- Czech: odezírat ze rtů
- Danish: mundaflæse
- Dutch: liplezen
- European Spanish: leer los labios
- Finnish: lukea huulilta
- French: lire sur les lèvres
- German: von den Lippen ablesen
- Greek: διαβάζω τα χείλη
- Italian: leggere le labbra
- Japanese: 読唇術で解する
- Korean: 독순술로 이해하다
- Norwegian: lese på munnen
- Polish: przeczytać z warg
- European Portuguese: ler os lábios
- Romanian: a citi pe buze
- Russian: читать по губам
- Spanish: leer los labios
- Swedish: läsa på läpparna
- Thai: แปลคำพูดด้วยการอ่านริมฝีปาก
- Turkish: dudak okuma
- Ukrainian: читати по губах
- Vietnamese: đọc khẩu hình
Definition of lipread from the Collins English Dictionary
New collocations added to dictionary
Collocations are words that are often used together and are brilliant at providing natural sounding language for your speech and writing.
Study guides for every stage of your learning journey
Whether you're in search of a crossword puzzle, a detailed guide to tying knots, or tips on writing the perfect college essay, Harper Reference has you covered for all your study needs.
Collins Dictionaries for Schools
Our new online dictionaries for schools provide a safe and appropriate environment for children. And best of all it's ad free, so sign up now and start using at home or in the classroom.
We have almost 200 lists of words from topics as varied as types of butterflies, jackets, currencies, vegetables and knots! Amaze your friends with your new-found knowledge!
13th edition of the Collins Dictionary out now!
Updated with all the very latest new words and senses, this new 13th edition is an unparalleled resource for word lovers, word gamers, and word geeks everywhere. #homeoflivingenglish
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.