English translation of 'l’emporter sur'
[combattant, équipe] to get the better of ⧫ to get the upper hand of
; [méthode, système] to prevail over
Copyright © by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
'l’emporter sur' in Other Languages
British English: outweigh VERB
If one thing outweighs another, the first thing is of greater importance, benefit, or significance than the second thing.
The advantages of this deal largely outweigh the disadvantages.
- American English: outweigh
- Brazilian Portuguese: ter mais valor do que
- Chinese: > 超过在重要性或意义上
- European Spanish: pesar más que
- French: l'emporter sur
- German: schwerer wiegen als
- Italian: avere maggior peso di
- Japanese: よりまさる
- Korean: ~보다 중요하다
- European Portuguese: ter mais valor do que
- Spanish: pesar más que
Translation of l’emporter sur from the Collins French to English Dictionary
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.
Study guides for every stage of your learning