English translation of 'licence'
1. (= permis) licence (Brit) ⧫ license (USA)
licence d’exploitation licence (Brit) ⧫ license (USA)
licence d’exportation export licence (Brit) ⧫ export license (USA)
2. (= diplôme) degree ⧫ bachelor’s degree
licence ès lettres arts degree
licence en droit law degree
3. (poétique) licence (Brit) ⧫ license (USA)
4. (= débauche) licentiousness
Copyright © by HarperCollins Publishers. All rights reserved.
Example Sentences Including 'licence'
These examples have been automatically selected and may contain sensitive content. Read more…
Comédienne, titulaire d'une licence de lettres, elle a travaillé au théâtre et dans l'édition.Marie Claire
Selon lui, la FFC devrait envisager de retirer sa licence à la station de radio.Le Nouvel Observateur (2002)
Trends of 'licence'
In Common Usage. licence is one of the 10000 most commonly used words in the Collins dictionary
View usage over:
'licence' in Other Languages
British English: BA /biː eɪ/ ABBREVIATION
A BA is a first degree in an arts or social science subject. BA is an abbreviation for `Bachelor of Arts'.
I did a BA in film making.
- American English: BA
- Arabic: بَكَالُوريوس
- Brazilian Portuguese: bacharel em humanidades
- Chinese: 文学士
- Croatian: sveučilišni prvostupnik
- Czech: Bc.
- Danish: B.A.
- Dutch: BA
- European Spanish: licenciado
- Finnish: humanististen tieteiden kandidaatti
- French: licence
- German: BA
- Greek: Πτυχίο πανεπιστημίου
- Italian: laurea in discipline umanistiche
- Japanese: 文学士
- Korean: 문학사
- Norwegian: universitetsgrad
- Polish: licencjat w dziedzinie nauk humanistycznych
- European Portuguese: bacharel em humanidades
- Romanian: Licență în arte
- Russian: бакалавр гуманитарных наук
- Spanish: licenciado
- Swedish: filosofie kandidat
- Thai: ตัวย่อของสายการบินบริติชแอร์เวย์
- Turkish: lisans derecesi edebiyat
- Ukrainian: бакалавр
- Vietnamese: Cử nhân Khoa học Xã hội
British English: degree /dɪˈɡriː/ NOUN
You use degree to indicate the extent to which something happens or is the case.
These barriers ensure a very high degree of protection.
- American English: degree
- Arabic: دَرَجَة
- Brazilian Portuguese: grau
- Chinese: 程度
- Croatian: stupanj
- Czech: míra
- Danish: grad
- Dutch: graad
- European Spanish: grado nivel
- Finnish: aste
- French: licence
- German: Grad
- Greek: βαθμός
- Italian: grado
- Japanese: 程度
- Korean: 정도
- Norwegian: grad
- Polish: stopień ranga
- European Portuguese: grau
- Romanian: nivel
- Russian: степень
- Spanish: grado
- Swedish: grad temperatur
- Thai: องศา
- Turkish: derece sıcaklık
- Ukrainian: ступінь
- Vietnamese: mức độ
Translation of licence from the Collins French to English
Join the Collins community
All the latest wordy news, linguistic insights, offers and competitions every month.
Study guides for every stage of your learning
Whether you're in search of a crossword puzzle, a detailed guide to tying knots, or tips on writing the perfect college essay, Harper Reference has you covered for all your study needs.
Unlock French with the Paul Noble method
Take your French to the next level with Paul's tried and tested method. No books. No rote memorization. No chance of failure. Next Steps is an intermediate course, which follows on from the Complete French Beginner's course- available to pre-order now!